Taxes and Business
There’s more to growing trees then just growing trees! Let’s say for example it’s time to harvest your trees. Do you know the basic components of a contract? How do you choose the right accountant or tax preparer? Taxes are a subject that many people find frustrating. The rules are often complex without many clear directions and as soon as you figure them out, the rules change! There are practices that we can learn from the business world that will assist you with minimizing expenses, increasing revenues and protecting your investment. Regardless of your property goals and objectives, there are resources and tools available to help you along the way.
Watch my quick video for an introduction on topics such as contracts, taxes and succession planning. Then, dive deeper with the resources listed on this page. They will help make sense out of taxes and business practices that apply to forestry at the state and federal level.
For more information, please contact:
Oregon State University Extension Forest Economics
Resources for Taxes and Business:
- Choosing the Right Service Provider for your Family Forest: Accountant or Tax Preparer
- Choosing the Right Service Provider for your Family Forest: Logging Contractor
- Contracts for Woodland Owners
- Selling Timber and Logs
- Federal Tax Treatment of Timber Income & Expenses
- Hardwood Timber Industry Audit Technique Guide
- Estate Planning for Forest Landowners What Will Become of Your Timberland?
- Forestry Tax Incentives
- Taxation of Forestry Income
- Forest Landowners Tax Council's Basics
- Your Legacy, Your Land series